The basis of the product: chloroprene
The chloroprene (CR) is the basis of the commercial product Neoprene® developed by Dupont. Chloroprene rubber is a synthetic rubber and has good chemical properties that make it very popular for use in industry and in our case for the manufacture of gaskets.
Chloroprene Rubber, Neoprene® Rubber, CR Rubber?
All three are correct ways of naming chloroprene rubber, with Neoprene® being the original Dupont trade name and CR being the abbreviation of its name in English (Chloroprene).
It often leads to confusion to think that chloroprene rubber, being commonly called Neoprene®, has a spongy feel and composition, similar to that of diving suits. Yes, these suits are made of chloroplene rubber, but with a specific spongy structure, therefore the normal structure of chloroprene rubber is solid.
At sight it blends perfectly with any other type of black rubber, be it SBR, NBR, Butyl, etc.
Characteristics of Chloroprene rubber
|Indentation hardness||Shore A||ASTM D2240||70|
|Breaking load||MPa||ASTM D412||6.0|
|Elongation at break||%||ASTM D412||300|
|Temperatures||ºC||-20 / 100|
(hot air 70ºC 70h)
Resistance to solvents
ASTM 5 oil
IRM 903 oil
|Diluted Acids and Bases||Moderate|
|Concentrated Acids and Bases||NOT Recommended|
|Organic Solvents||NOT Recommended|
Applications of Chloroprene rubber (Neoprene®)
- Excellent resistance to oils, ozone and weathering.
- Suitable for moderate acids, alkalis, salt solutions, petroleum, solvents, oils and fuels.
- Great resistance to aging and high temperatures.
- Molding: Supports for bridges, expansion joints, pipes, mechanical seals, belts, solid propellant, balls, etc.
- Chloroprene rubber NO is compatible with:
- Aromatic (benzene) and chlorinated (trichloroethylene) hydrocarbons.
- Polar solvents (ketones, esters, ethers).
- Manufacture of sealing joints in work environments previously described.
Formats of Chloroprene rubber (Neoprene®)
|Name||Thickness (mm)||Measurements (mm)|
|Chloroprene (CR)||0.8 / 1 / 1.5 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 8 / 10||Roll 10000 x 1400|
- We have numerically controlled machinery for high precision cutting.
- Other formats and thicknesses are possible, do not hesitate to consult us.